What are facial fillers?
Facial Fillers, such as Restylane® and Juvederm®, are safe and natural cosmetic dermal fillers that restore volume and fullness to the skin to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
You may want facial fillers if you:
- Are seeking a non-invasive alternative to a more youthful looking face
- Desire a smoother facial appearance
Commonly injected areas for facial fillers:
Please note some of these locations are considered “off-label” and performed at the discretion of your doctor.
FDA approval was for specific areas such as nasolabial folds.
- Lips: Lip filler will augment the current shape of your lips to give them a little more presence, or modify the shape if so desired.
- Undereye Hollows: The “tear trough” area under the eyes is often an overlooked area that gives the face a tired and aged appearance. Careful and precise technique is required in this location, and not all patients are good candidates. In the appropriate candidate, filling this area can give an instantly brighter appearance to the face, without the need for surgery.
- Nasolabial folds: The laugh lines, or folds that run from the nose to the corners of the mouth, tend to get deeper and more prominent with age. Adding filler to this area can mask this sign of aging, and rejuvenate the face. This area may take more than one syringe.
- Cheeks: Filler can be injected to the cheekbone area or the central aspect of the cheeks to give a lifted and contoured appearance. This area is best injected in small amounts to avoid an overdone appearance.
- Marionette Folds: The area below the corners of the mouth tend to develop hollowness or a gentle crease with age, and this can easily be corrected with the addition of filler.
- Oral Commisures: The corners of the mouth tends to turn downward with age, and filler injected here can bring the corners back to neutral or slightly upturned to give a more youthful look to the peri-oral region.
Using a fine needle, Dr. Calvert eases the filler under the skin to fill the soft tissue of the dermis.
This adds volume and diminishes the appearance of wrinkles and folds instantly.
Most patients suffer little to no side effects.
Depending on the product, results can last from three months to one year.