What is a brow lift?
A brow lift, also known as a forehead lift or eyebrow rejuvenation, can help restore a more youthful appearance as well as a more refreshed and rested look. By altering the skin and muscle tissue surrounding the brow and forehead, wrinkles can be reduced thereby softening facial lines.
You may want a brow lift if you have:
- Sagging and drooping in the brow line
- Horizontal lines or creases in the forehead area
- Wrinkles along the eyes
- Decreased distance between the eyelashes and eyebrows
- Constant tired look to your face
There are a variety of surgical techniques used for brow lifts. Below are some of the most common:
- Coronal Browlift – In this procedure, a long incision is made starting from the top of one ear all the way across the top of the scalp to the top of the other ear. The forehead and brow is then shifted and any overlapping scalp tissue is removed. During this procedure, some of the forehead muscles are weakened to diminish the appearance of horizontal lines in the forehead. This procedure can produce more permanent results than other procedures but is rather invasive in terms of scarring, time required for the surgery, and recovery.
- Pretrichial Browlift – This procedure tends to be utilized with patients who have longer foreheads and brows. In this procedure, an incision is made right at the hairline. The entire forehead and brow are then elevated and any excess skin is measured and excised. This procedure is similar to a coronal brow-lift and similarly offers more permanent results.
- Endoscopic Browlift – In this procedure, a series of small incisions are made at the top of the scalp behind the hairline in order to allow for the required shifting of the forehead tissue. The endoscopic browlift is a minimally invasive procedure with little to no scarring, no excision of excess scalp tissue, a relatively short surgical time required and a relatively fast recovery period.
- Direct Browlift – In this procedure, the excess skin above the brow is marked and simply excised. Since the incision is placed directly above the brows, concerns about a visible scar are greatly increased with the use of this procedure. Very careful and meticulous closure techniques must be used to minimize the visibility of post-operative scars. This technique is generally used as a less invasive alternative to either the coronal or pretrichial browlifts.
The brow lift is often performed in conjunction with other surgical procedures, such as a facelift, to provide a more complete facial rejuvenation.
Beverly Hills Browlift surgery or Forehead Lift surgery is performed by Dr. Jay Calvert MD, who specializes in facial surgery. Contact his office 310.777.8800 for more info.